CITY ENGINEER/PROJECT MANAGER
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Public Works Director
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: May exercise general supervision over temporary or other staff as needed and assigned.
GENERAL PURPOSE: Performs complex engineering work in the provisions of office engineering support and field engineering support for environmental, water, sewer, street and other Public Works projects and programs ensuring technical competence and compliance with all current codes and criteria; serves as a Project Manager.
1. Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering or closely related field.
2. Minimum of 8 years previous professional civil engineering experience including at least four years with utilities.
3. Registration as a professional engineer in Alaska.
4. Considerable skills in arriving at cost estimates on complex projects and producing engineering drawings for water, sewer, and road projects.
5. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, City officials and the general public; Ability to conduct necessary engineering research and compose comprehensive reports.
6. Knowledgeable of rural Alaskan utility operations and methods. Arctic construction techniques, and construction involving discontinuous permafrost preferred.
Coordinates and/or undertakes the development of Comprehensive Sewer Plan, Comprehensive Water Plan, and the Capital Improvements Plan. Coordinates the preparation of, or develops engineering plans and specifications; coordinates required advertising for bids; reviews construction bids and makes necessary recommendations based on lowest and best bids, competency of vendors and consultants, and the selection criteria. Provides project management for the construction of the municipal public works projects. Oversees assigned projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters for the project. Prepares or develops, reviews and updates the sanitary sewer, water, storm drainage, and street system maps, data bases, and comprehensive plans. Maintains the engineering library and infrastructure records. Maintains and updates city subdivision and public works standards. Assures as-built records of projects, and documents necessary changes for the operation and maintenance programs.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheets, and data base computer-aided drafting software; standard drafting tools; surveying equipment including level, theodolite and electronic distance measuring equipment.
OPENING DATE: May 25, 2001
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
INTERESTED PERSONS SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR APPLICATION OR RESUME TO CITY HALL, CITY OF KOTZEBUE
Phone: (907) 442-3401
Fax: (907) 442-3742
PLEASE SUBMIT A LETTER OF INTEREST AND APPLICATION OR RESUME TO:
CITY OF KOTZEBUE, ATTN: PATSY SMITH, P.O. BOX 46, KOTZEBUE, AK 99752.
PHONE: (907) 442-3401 FAX: (907) 442-3742 EMAIL: Patsy Smith email@example.com
THE CITY OF KOTZEBUE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Posted on Web: May 26, 2001